Saturday, August 13, 2011

What's Wrong with Boo Now? Visiting!

      If you aren't familiar with the cavalcade of calamity that follows my brother around, you should really check out this post, and maybe this one for good measure.  Go ahead, click over.  I'll wait . . . . . . . . ..

      I've been pretty bad about keeping up on this particular feature lately, but that is certainly not for lack of material.  Actually, if I posted every episode, I'd have to rename the blog.  Since we last checked in on my karmicly challenged brother, he has been fired (for something that seriously was not his fault - psycho boss; I know this person personally, and I can attest to the psycho-ness), evicted, almost blew up his house and killed his landlord and her husband (accidentally), had major dental problems, been through a break up, and been bitten in the face by a dog.  And that's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head.

   Today, though, is a little different for dear Boo.  Today, very little is wrong with him.  He ate a healthy, sit-down dinner last night, he played board games, and he laughed a lot, and he went to bed at a reasonable hour (for a Saturday night).

       Because Boo is staying with us!  For a whole month!  We're paying him enough to get the dental work he needs done, and he's mannying for Flintstone and Punky until we all head back to MI for my 10 year high school reunion.

      It's only been a couple of days, but so far it's been awesome.  Flintstone and Punky are getting tons of extra attention; MacGyver and I have time to catch up on some housework and projects, there are no child care worries, and it's just all around fun.

      Today the plan is to have a picnic on the beach and do some school shopping for Punky.  Tangent - I am so SICK of how little money we put toward education in this country.  Can someone please tell me how the HELL it is ok that we are expected to supply not only schools supplies (which makes sense), but also cleaning supplies (???) to the school?  For instance, Clorox wipes.  I don't let Punky handle cleaning supplies containing those sorts of chemicals at home, why the eff would I send her to school with them?  And WTF is up with the brand endorsement?  I WILL be sending her with 7th Generation wipes or something similar (after I check on possible allergens - Punky has some very allergic kids in her school).  I mean, I do understand.  We live in a very poor school district - close to 50% of the students qualify for free or reduced lunch (but it's also one of the best schools in the area - contrary to popular, classist, unfounded belief poor schools can still provide excellent educations), so I understand that they need the supplies.  THAT is not my gripe.  I'm pissed that we dump so much tax money into other worthless crap that it becomes necessary for the schools to ask for this stuff.  It's such a sad indictment of our culture and our political system, and it's super frustrating.  ***End Tangent***

      This next month should be super interesting with Boo visiting (and MacGyver and my anniversary AND my high school reunion AND I have to go to the damn rifle range again because they lost my EFFING score card).  Especially since, for the first time in years, there is very little wrong with Boo.

       Unless you ask him, of course.

      Because he's from MI.

      And we live in the South.

      And, in his words, repeated at least 14 times a day, "It's sooooooooooooooooo hot."

      It was the first thing he said on the phone when he got off the plane.  It was the first thing he said when I called him to tell him where to meet us outside the airport.  He complained about it to approximately 30 people AT the airport.  It was the first thing he said when he got in the truck with us. It was the first thing he said when we got out of the truck.

      But I think he's finally starting to get used to it.

     He's only said it twice today.

      Of course, we haven't left for the beach yet . . .

      Happy Weekend All!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin