Thursday, August 18, 2011

The One: Q&A

Do you have a good Love/Marriage/Relationship meme tucked away somewhere?  Please send it to me!  I freaking love memes, and it's been too long since I've done any.  In honor of the impedning anniversary, I give you the "The One" meme:
What do you call your spouse?
MacGyver, Honey, a couple other horrifyingly cutesy things that there is no way in Hell I’m putting on the internet.
What first attracted you to them?
Um, he’s hot.  There was no one particular characteristic.  MacGyver is just all around, overall good looking. 
How did you know he was the one?
He is the only guy to have ever beat me at my own games.  It sounds silly, but really – I couldn’t just walk away.  And after we spent some time apart then got back together, it just fit.
What’s something you learned about him after you were married that surprised you?
I left this one till last because I didn't have an answer, and I still don't.  I know things about him surprised me when we got married, but I really can't think of any of them.  I suppose I can honestly say I was surprised that he stayed just as romantic as he was when we were dating - little surprises, notes, gestures, etc.  He still cleans my car for me every time he uses it.
What do you argue about the most?
Hmmm . . . It’s hard to say.  I’m not one of those “we never fight” wives, but for the most part our arguments lead to growth and resolution.  I guess maybe conflicts with time are probably at the root of a lot of our stress.
What quality in him do you admire most?
It is so hard to pick just one.  He’s so smart, considerate, and ingenuitive (which I deem to be a real word because it is one of my favorite MacGvyer descriptors).  He’s an amazing father – caring, utterly devoted, yet firm.  But I suppose if I had to pick one thing, I’d have to say his ability to do things without any concern for embarrassment.  MacGvyer could give a rip less what anyone thinks of him or us.  He lives his life without a moment’s hesitation to worry about what other people might think.
Sometimes, it makes my skin crawl because, in my job, I have to pay attention to what other people think.  Sometimes it stresses me out.  But really, that’s all on me and I sort of envy MacGvyer’s ability there.
What is the hardest part about being married?
All of it and none of it.  I don’t know.  In the beginning, I had a very hard time adjusting.  I had lived by myself for a long time and literally went from living carefree and alone to being a family overnight.  I went from coming home to a quiet, relaxed place that was ALL MINE, to coming home to chaos and the needs of others.  It was rough.  It’s still rough sometimes now when I run 5 miles and work out at 6 am then spend all day battling work that comes in faster than I could ever process it, and I get home and want nothing more than to sit in silence with tea and a book and maybe a dog, but what I get is excited chatter, and barking, and people pawing at my boobs (take that however you want, ha), and I have to make dinner, and there’s homework, and everything else.  Sometimes it feels like too much and I longingly remember my quiet, clean, all mine apartment.  But it really only takes a millisecond to recognize that I love and need every single piece of that chaos I come home to.
What’s the best part about being married?
That’s even harder than the last question!  It’s all the best.  My roommate is my best friend.  And I can have s*x with him pretty much whenever either of us wants!  (Yeah, I know you don’t want to hear it, but I’m being honest – that’s a big perk!).  And we get to build this awesome life together.  And I always have a partner for my adventures who knows me even better than I know me!

Who said I love you first?
MacGyver did.  We had both been being super stubborn and holding out.  Neither of us was going to go first.  Finally, we were out at a bar I loved; my ex was literally crying over me in the corner, and MacGvyer and I were dancing to Prince and he said, “You win.  I love you.”
I always win ;-)

Who drives most when you are together?
It depends on who’s vehicle we’re in and where we’re going.  I still have some low grade PTSD from an accident we were in before we got married and I hate driving with other people in the car if I have to go over 45 mph.  I CAN do it, and I have many times like on long trips when MacGyver needed a break, but I really, really hate it.
Who pays the bills?
For a long time, it’s been MacGyver, but lately we’ve been rotating.
Who is the first to admit they are wrong?
Um, obviously that depends on who was wrong.

Who wears the pants?
I don’t like this question.  For starters, THIS (if you haven’t read my rant about people’s perceptions of MacGvyer and me since I work and he’s in school, you totally should.  Go now.  I mean it.).
Anyway, Um in our relationship there are no pants.  That’s what she said.  Or we share them.  We like to get into each other’s pants.  MAN my mind is in the gutter today.  We are two responsible adults.  We discuss things with each other.  We make decisions together.  Seriously.

What do you like to do together?
*ahem*  *cough*  Practicing great restraint here.  Umm . . .  We love family outings – amusement parks, parks, the beach, hiking.  We love just hanging out and talking to each other.  We love to travel and discover new things together.  We sit together, either at home or at book stores, and read books and magazines and discuss the interesting things we find out.
Wine Tastings.

How did you meet?
We worked together at Applebee’s while we were both going to Purdue.

Who asked whom out first?
He asked me, by way of my car.  It’s a really cute story.
.
Who kissed first?
He kissed me.  Details of that can also be found in aforementioned cute story.

Who proposed?
He did.

He's sitting in front of the tv, what is on the screen?
MacGyver is rarely sitting in front of the TV – especially by himself.  If he’s in front of the TV, we’re either watching a family movie or he and I are watching something together.  He will occasionally watch a documentary about something tech/engineering related or alternative fuels.  He loves to try to make me watch horror movies.  When he gets to pick shows for us to watch together, lately he’s been into Weeds.

You go out to the bar, what does he order?
Blue Moon or Shock Top on tap, Rum and coke, or Electric Lemonade

If he was to collect anything, what would it be?
Tools and projects!  He is always building or designing something.  We cannot throw away anything that breaks, and we have a large stockpile of things “to be improved upon.”  Sometimes it drives me nuts,  (Seriously, can’t I please just go buy a shoe rack), but the stuff he makes is super awesome, so it’s totally worth it.

What would this person eat every day if he could?
MacGyver hates eating the same thing repeatedly.  It could be his favorite thing in the world (like humane, grass fed BBQ ribs or pulled pork), but if he ate it the day before – or sometimes even the week before – he doesn’t want it.  Let me tell you it can make putting together the weekly meal plan something of a chore.  I have to be very creative with leftovers.  And if I’m planning to take him out for a special dinner, I have to be super careful about what I “let” him eat the few days before.  It sounds annoying, but it’s just part of what makes him him and just thinking about it makes me smile.

What is his favorite cereal?
I don’t think he’d call it his “favorite,” but he always needs to have a box of Grape Nuts in the house.  ICK!  It’s like eating cardboard rocks.  I don’t get it.  I also think it has a stupid name.  But we always have a box in the house.

What is something you do that he wishes you wouldn't do?
“Everything,” as in I try to do everything myself.  It never occurs to me to ask for help, and it annoys the pants off MacGyver.

Who does the laundry?
We both do it, but he does it more.  Except the diapers.  I’m usually the one to wash the diapers.  And we fold everything together most of the time.  I hate folding.

Who sleeps on the right side of the bed?
We don’t really have sides of the bed.  It all depends on what is on a given side of the bed.  If we stay in a hotel or something, I sleep in the side closest to Flintstone and the bathroom.  And I really, really don’t have a side of the bed.  If MacGyver isn’t in the bed, I end up in the dead middle.  Hell, I do that even when he IS in the bed ;-)
* * *
I don't tag people in memes, but if you want to join in, I love reading them!  Drop a comment and let me know if you join in the fun!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin